MWA Albrecht GmbH was originally formed in 1926 as a manufacturer of Radio components.
Following the Second World War the company was reformed and embarked on the manufacturing of
audio equipment specifically intended for the film industry.
The year 1947 saw the first Audio magnetic tape recorders and players being developed.
In the early 1970s the first modern type electronic synchronisable Mag recorder/player (sound
follower) the MB41 was introduced revolutionizing sound for film and broadcast.
1980 saw the launch of the MB51 multiformat Mag machine/sound follower is, followed shortly by the
PB51 multi format high speed studio film projector.
The MB51 rapidly earned a reputation as the best machine of its’ type worldwide and sold almost 2500
units making the name MWA Albrecht GmbH truly world famous in the professional Audio and Film
MWA went on to further this reputation by introducing the only modern Laser Optical Sound Recorder
the LLK in 1995. This machine differs greatly from the only other older style system currently still in
use, in as much as the sound is recorded on the negative film using a green NeHe laser beam which
results in unparalleled accuracy and performance statistics.
Over the 55 years of its’ existence the name MWA Albrecht GmbH became synonymous with the
highest engineering quality, and technical innovation; a tradition that continues today following the
takeover of the company at the end of 2002, and subsequent renaming as MWA Nova GmbH.
2004 saw the first MWA Nova film scanning product launched in the form of the flashscan8 scanner for
8mm, super8mm, and 9.5mm which has to date not only revolutionized the world of small gauge film
scanning, and became a standard worldwide. The Flashscan8 sold in excess of 200 units as of March